About Tom Wheeler - Artist
Hi, I'm Tom Wheeler - an oil painter living and working in the Pacific Northwest (Southwest WA). I love to paint many natural subjects, including landscapes, riverbeds, wildlife and portraits. I studied Art and Illustration at Brigham Young University where I received a BFA degree in 1997. I was fortunate to learn from several great artists, including Bruce Hixon Smith, James C. Christensen, Brett Helquist, Doug Fryer, Richard Hull and Robert Barrett.
My art style is realistic, but with a mix of loose brushwork at times. I tend to enjoy painting details, and studying natural subjects closely. But I also enjoy loosening up and being more free. Paint is a wonderful medium and can do so many different types of things, and I like exploring that. I’m constantly learning and trying to improve. The subjects of my paintings are usually rivers, water and rocks - (most often the east fork of the Lewis river nearby). I also love to paint portraits of family and friends.
While in college, I also starting learning and working with computers (I have a lot of interests).. and this has helped me to keep a steady job. I plunged into computer graphics, including both 3D animation and eventually web design - including programming. This choice of a technical career path was a good one for me, although it's always a challenge to find balance in my life.
Since January of 2000 I have been teaching at the Art Institute of Portland, in their Web Design program. I enjoy teaching and have taught a variety of subjects including both art and technology courses. For five years I taught full-time, but for the past few years I've been teaching part-time.
In 2008 I started Wheelercreek Studio, Inc. I'm focused primarily on developing websites with Drupal and PHP, and also make time to paint whenever I can (I try to get about 2 hours of painting in everyday). I've found I enjoy both programming and fine arts, and I blessed to be able to pursue both areas.
Art Exhibitions & Recognition
- Solo show at the Swift Gallery, Battle Ground Public Library, Jun-Aug 2014
- Group show - Second Story Gallery, Camas WA, May-June 2013
- The Pines Art Gallery, Hood River Oregon, Nov 2012 - Feb 2013
- Solo show at the Swift Gallery, Battle Ground Public Library, Jun-Aug 2011
- Honorable Mention Award, Utrecht & American Artists Magazine 2nd Annual Art Competition, 2010
- Featured artist on Charlie Parker's popular "Lines and Colors" art blog, June 24 2010.
- BYU Illustration Alumni Show: 30 Years of Excellence, Summer 2010
- Avalon Gallery, Battle Ground WA - gallery opening show Summer 2010
- Portland first thursday show - Group show at the Poster Garden in Portland OR, 2010
- "5 Year Retrospective" - Group show at Second Story Gallery in Camas WA, 2008
- "Reflecting on Water" - Solo show at Second Story Gallery in Camas WA, 2007
- Columbia River Gallery, Troutdale OR, 2006
- Art Institute of Portland Faculty Art Show 2006 (Juried)
- Art Institute of Portland Faculty Art Show 2004
- Exhibited at the Light Design Center, Portland OR 2003
- Exhibited at "Winter 2003 Best of AIPD" - Art Institute of Portland gallery exhibit 2003
- Exhibited at the Allen Trust Company art exhibit 2002
- Exhibited at the World Forestry Center's AIPD Faculty art show 2001
- "Best of Show" award at Confederation of Visual Artists (COVA) exhibit 2000
- "People's Choice" award at North Clackamas Arts Guild 1999 Exhibit
- Provo Freedom Festival Art Exhibit, Provo UT 1997
- Board Member - The Battle Ground Art Alliance (2010-present)
- Member - The Portrait Society of America
- Speaker at WebVisions conference, 2010. Presentation was "Theming Drupal: A Crash Course".
- Guest Lecturer - George Fox University, 2005
- Member, Professional Advisory Board - Clark College, 2005
- Contributed a chapter for the Poser 3 Handbook, Charles River Media 1999
BFA Illustration, Brigham Young University 1997
MA Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Argosy University Seattle 2005
The most important things in my life are my relationship with God, with my wife, our 4 wonderful sons and 1 beautiful daughter. Being able to share life with them brings true joy. Visit my Profile on Mormon.org to learn more about my faith. Or you can also check out my LDS Religion blog where I occasionally write essays on various Mormon religious topics.